Willowford Farm is a 100 acre hill farm in the very far north-east corner of Cumbria, just a few hundred metres from the Northumberland border. The farm buildings sit above the River Irthing and enjoy splendid views down the valley as it meanders westwards towards the Eden and ultimately the Solway Firth. We are also fortunate to have one of the best remaining stretches of Hadrian’s Wall running right through the farm, as can be seen in the photo above.
Since the Romans it is thought there has always been some sort of settlement at Willowford, but the present buildings were erected in 1830, almost certainly from stone taken from Hadrian’s Wall. For many generations it has been a productive livestock farm but in 2007 we converted one of the stone byres into 5 en-suite bedrooms and so now also offer bed and breakfast accommodation.